Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Another former Blackhawks player sues team over mishandling of sexual abuse -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Another former Blackhawks player sues team over mishandling of sexual abuse
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:53:35
A second former player in the Chicago Blackhawks organization has filed a lawsuit against the team,Fastexy Exchange alleging that it mishandled claims of sexual abuse levied against a video coach during the 2009-10 NHL season.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday in Cook County, Illinois by a plaintiff identified only as John Doe. It comes a little more than two years after another player, Kyle Beach, publicly alleged that he had been sexually assaulted by the same coach, Brad Aldrich, during the team's run to the 2010 Stanley Cup.
Attorneys who represent Doe said in a news conference Monday that Beach's willingness to speak out about his experience in 2021 "gave (our client) the courage" to do the same now, adding that Beach will likely be asked to testify in the new case.
"This case is about institutional negligence at its worst," one of the attorneys, Antonio Romanucci, said, "where the culture of win at all costs allowed a predator coach to abuse players at a time where the coach knew he could act with impunity."
The Blackhawks said in a statement that they take all allegations of workplace misconduct seriously and have implemented organizational changes since Beach came forward in 2021.
"This includes completely rebuilding the leadership team with personnel who demonstrate our values and bring the right subject matter expertise in the critical areas of compliance and human resources, an expansive mental health program, and new reporting mechanisms and training for all employees," the team said.
"Until we learn more about this pending litigation, we will refrain from commenting with any additional specifics."
The new lawsuit alleges that Aldrich "groomed, harassed, threatened and assaulted" Doe during the 2009-10 season when Doe, like Beach, was a minor-league player in Chicago's organization on the "Black Aces" – a group of prospects made available to play for the NHL team when needed.
Doe claims in the lawsuit that Aldrich "became overtly and aggressively sexual" toward Doe, including rubbing Doe's feet while he was being intimate with a woman and sending Doe a picture of his genitals, among other allegations. He alleges that he reported the photo to the Blackhawks' team president at the time, through his secretary, but no action was taken.
The timeline of Doe's claims overlaps with those made by Beach, who came forward publicly in 2021. A team-commissioned investigation into Beach's claims in 2021 found that Blackhawks brass were aware of the claims against Aldrich but failed to take action for three weeks after being notified. Aldrich, who told investigators that he had a sexual encounted with Beach but it was consensual, was permitted to resign at the end of the season.
The external investigation led to the departures of several Blackhawks executives, including senior vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac and general manager Stan Bowman, as well as a $2 million for the organization. Beach also later sued the Blackhawks; the two sides reached a settlement in December 2021.
Doe's lawsuit includes six claims, including negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is seeking a jury trial and more than $300,000 in compensatory damages.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Monthly skywatcher's guide to 2024: Eclipses, full moons, comets and meteor showers
- Alabama prisoners' bodies returned to families with hearts, other organs missing, lawsuit claims
- Food Network star Darnell Ferguson arrested, pleads not guilty to burglary, strangulation
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- North Carolina gubernatorial candidate Josh Stein has raised $5.7M since July, his campaign says
- Every Browns starting quarterback since their NFL return in 1999
- Retired Arizona prisons boss faces sentencing on no-contest plea stemming from armed standoff
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Why Golden Bachelor's Leslie Was Uncomfortable During Gerry and Theresa's Wedding
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Good news you may have missed in 2023
- Jonathan Owens Doubles Down on Having “No Clue” Who Simone Biles Was When They Met
- 'Lunar New Year Love Story' celebrates true love, honors immigrant struggles
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Nick Saban's time at Alabama wasn't supposed to last. Instead his legacy is what will last.
- Riots in Papua New Guinea’s 2 biggest cities reportedly leave 15 dead
- Speaker Johnson is facing conservative pushback over the spending deal he struck with Democrats
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Blinken sees a path to Gaza peace, reconstruction and regional security after his Mideast tour
Director Bong Joon-ho calls for investigation into 'Parasite' actor Lee Sun-kyun's death
Who will replace Nick Saban? Five candidates Alabama should consider
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Isabella Strahan Receives Support From Twin Sister Sophia Amid Brain Cancer Diagnosis
For Dry January, we ask a music critic for great songs about not drinking
Riots in Papua New Guinea’s 2 biggest cities reportedly leave 15 dead